He is replacing *2* P3/1GHz by *1* P4/1.7GHz, I just wanted to point
out that it doesn't look so much like an "upgrade".

And, you know, not all webservers need the same amount of power.
The main "webserver" I manage is actually a cluster of 6 load-balanced
Apache/mod_perl front-ends with a dedicated MySQL database server
backend. All these servers are PentiumIII biprocessors ranging from
733MHz to 1.4GHz. We are serving more than 80 million pages/month (all
dynamically generated) and have more than 5000 simultaneous *real*
users on peak hours. I am sure that a single P3/450 or even a P4/1.7
would not support this load.
We started 5 years ago with a single Pentium 120MHz, 16 MB Ram and
2x400Mb IDE disks ;) We had to replace it several times as trafic
went up until we moved to our "cluster" architecture two years ago.
We can now add new servers when necessary instead of replacing the
old one.

Regards
--
Joseph Bueno