I would agree, storing credit card numbers on a database such that they can
be used by an automated system (without manual intervention) is a serious
risk. Unless you are operating an EXTREMELY secure server with good
firewalls and the bare minimum of shell access I would have second thoughts.

I (in the UK) use a third party payment provider operating between my secure
site and the merchant. Credit card details are securely passed to the
providor who then process the payment purely returning a "yes" or "no" for
the transaction and if successfull a long transaction reference string. If I
need to repeat the payment or reverse it I simply send this reference string
(and if required new expiry date) back to the providor.   Therefore I store
no card details whatsoever and don't have sleepless nights.  In addition the
providor at no extra charge provides automated repeat payments.  A payment
of £20 per month for example for 6 months could be requested. A single
transaction is sent to the providor and they then (without my intervention)
automatically take the other 5 payments. This level of functionality for a
commision (from 1.5% or lower) I consider to be extremely good value.

If you want details of this providor contact me offlist ... (not using this
list for adverts !!!).

Regards,

Phil Ellett,

www.e-payment.co.uk