On Sun, 6 Oct 2002, David Gerler wrote:

> Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 14:21:11 -0400
> From: David Gerler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Mysql <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: protecting CC numbers
>
> Hi,
>       I am working on an application that will need to store users CC
> numbers so that they can be charge once a month and to verify
> identity. My question is: I am in process of getting an SSL, but my
> experience with SSL is none existent. Can someone give me an overview
> of protecting the numbers with mysql and SSL? Will the SSL protect the
> numbers when they are stored on the site? Or just when they are
> transmitted? Should I use something like PGP to encrypt the numbers
> before storing?
If you are applying SSL to your webserver (i.e., getting/generating a
certificate then you are protecting the information only when it is being
sent to the webserver.  You will need to encode the information again
when you put it into the database using a two way key (i.e, unlike crypt
or mysql's PASSWORD function which only encode it you will need a system
which allows access to the original, unencoded version).  In perl there
are several options under Crype,  Blowfish, Twofish and 3des are all
secure although the latter may be nearing the end of its life).  Please
remember you will also need to protect the 'key' you use to encode the
information.  On a *nix box you can generate good keys from /dev/urandom.

Luck

> David Gerler
> Gerler Enterprises
> PO Box 16357
> Chesapeake VA 23328
> (757) 410-0738
> http://www.GerlerEnterprises.com/
>
> Nationwide Dial-up from $12.45 /mo.
> http://www.EasySitesForLess.com/

Sincerely,

William Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
CyberStrategies, Inc
ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27