Stephanie,

Without knowing the architecture of your program I cannot give a precise
answer.  But I'll make a few stabs at it...

First, MySQL, being an application in its own right, can be installed
separately from your application.  Alternately, your application's
installation program could include calling the MySQL installer.  The user
could bypass that step if it has already been installed.  Future upgrades of
your program would not require MySQL to be reinstalled, though the tables and
databases it uses may need refreshing.

Second, MySQL is network-based, so that you may have MySQL installed on one or
more machines and your application installed on other machines.  It would
require as part of the installation process that the IP address for the MySQL
server, its port, username, password, etc. be supplied.

Hope this helps,

Frank