Hi All !

Recently we have begun developing a web-based configuration sheet generator. The basis
for these configuration sheets is data stored
on several Sun servers. The Sun servers are responsible for collecting
all config data from all equipment connected to the network.

We have developed scripts that import data into several mysql databases
on a dedicated machine. Four weeks of data is roughly equivalent to
4 million rows of information in these databases.
In addition to this, other scripts sort through the data, "promoting" only the most
recent data into another database using a CREATE TABLE...SELECT statement(since there
is currently no SELECT INTO statement in mysql).
I have noticed, that although there is much less information in this promoted
database, it's on-disk-size is MUCH LARGER than the original
databases from which the information was promoted.
Running a 'myisampack' command on the databases, the compression ratio is typically
95% or better !!

Can someone explain this, and possibly suggest a solution on how to reduce this HUGE
database size, without having to run a 'myisampack'
each time ?

Regards,
HB