HELP!
We are running RH 6.2 and when we applied all the current patches including upgrading
glibc, MySQL 3.23.41 stopped working.  It would not start and produced the following
error 5 times per second.

Number of processes running now: 1
mysqld process hanging, pid 21458 - killed
021011 00:16:19  mysqld restarted
/usr/sbin/mysqld: ready for connections

We upgraded to 3.23.52.  The install went fine but the system load average went to
30+.  It appeared as if locked queries were in a busy wait instead of sleeping.  Just
a guess.  Don't know if the locked queries caused the high load average or the high
load average caused queries to lock.  The net result was that the db was very slow if
usable at all.

We upgraded to 3.23.53.  The server would not start.
021014 15:31:11  mysqld started
Fatal error: Can't change to run as user 'mysql' ;  Please check that the user exists!
021014 15:31:11  Aborting

We were able to get our replication server to start by su to mysql and then running
safe_mysqld, but on the master server even this would not work.  It would die with

021014 15:35:24  mysqld started
/home/mysql/libexec/mysqld: unrecognized option `--server-id=12341234'

Strange!!!

We downgraded to 3.23.50.  We had to force the rpm because perl is in the wrong place,
but it installed and seems to work better.  We had to change all Host entries in the
mysql.user and mysql.db tables from hostname to IP because it was rejecting all
connections.  We had a load average spike soon after we restarted the server but we
have not seen one today yet.

Any suggestions?

I need a vacation!

Andy Yates
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Senior Software Developer
NetNearU

"The question should be, is it worth trying
to do, not can it be done."
Allard Lowenstein