I've been trying for a week to get MySQL installed on a Solaris
system running on Intel, not Sparc, and am rather at the end of
my line. I know almost nothing about the process of compiling
things, but various people have given me advice and I still can't
get it to work.

All I want is a standard installation; I'd use a binary if there
were one available. I'm trying with 3.23.52, though I've tried
4.0.4 with the same general results.

When I try to compile MySQL, I get errors that look more or less
like this (after several minutes of OK churning):

---
Making all in client
gcc -DUNDEF_THREADS_HACK -I./../include                                 -I../include
-I./.. -I..                                -I..    -O3 -DDBUG_OFF -O3
-felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti  -fno-implicit-templates
-fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -DHAVE_CURSES_H -I/usr/local/src/mysql-3.23.52/include
-DHAVE_RWLOCK_T -c mysql.cc
In file included from mysql.cc:48:
/opt/sfw/include/curses.h:96: declaration does not declare anything
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `mysql.o'
Current working directory /usr/local/src/mysql-3.23.52/client
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive'
Current working directory /usr/local/src/mysql-3.23.52
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all-recursive-am'
---

It always dies here, with some sort of curses-related problem.

I run ./configure with these parameters, generally cribbed from
the Manual:

---
bash-2.03# CFLAGS="-O3" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions \
-fno-rtti" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/src/mysql --enable-assembler \
--with-mysqld-ldflags=-all-static
---

I have also tried specifying the --with-named-curses-libs flag, assigning it
to many of the curses libraries on this system, including
/opt/sfw/lib/libncurses.(a|so), /usr/lib/libcurses.(a|so), and others, all
with the same results. I'm not, to be honest, even clear on what any of
these are; as said, I don't know any C and I don't know what any of these
compiler messages mean, what the libraries are, etc.

I'd be grateful for any help anyone can give me. I've discussed this with
people who are knowledgable about MySQL and compiling in general, with no
luck, and I've checked the archives and can't find anything related.

Thanks.

Jesse Sheidlower
SQL, query