Hi!

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Gelu Gogancea wrote:

> Hi Iikka,
>
> My opinion:
> Doesn't matter what type of client it is(whatever OS).TCP/IP it's the same
> for all.One property of the SERVER it to resolving hosts.And this is done by

IP-hostname mapping/resolving is usually done by DNS servers, not the MySQL
server, assuming that they're not running on the same box. :-) There are
several ways for resolving addresses.

> using
> KERNEL functions.By adding in "hosts" file(in the SERVER MACHINE) the IP
> address of the client machine which want to connect to the SERVER, help
> SERVER for resolving the hostname.KERNEL make a lookup to the hostnames
> which is associate with the IP address.

AFAIK, IP-to-hostname mapping isn't done by _kernel_ functions. At least
the Linux kernel knows very little about hostnames. Some exotic Unixes may
implement this differently, but no operating system I'm aware of has kernel
interfaces for name resolution.

Making the server recognize the client correctly with an updated /etc/hosts
seems logical enough. It's strange, though, to have to make changes on the
server for clients to be able to connect.

> For using this functions IS NEED TO HAVE the properly "system call" library
> which is(in this case) GLIBC.2.2.40.If some incompatibilities(BUGS) exists
> between this, a lot of problems can be raised after compilation.For this
> reason EGOR send a strongly message to all to make a downgrade to a version
> of glibc which is stable.

Here you get it right. glibc is much more responsible for
ip-hostname-mapping than the operating system kernel itself. Kernel
implements the IP protocol with dotted-format addresses, and it expects
user-mode libraries to do any necessary conversions. That is, when you do
this: ping www.google.com the ping binary calls a couple of conversion
functions in user-mode libraries so that it can pass a real IP address to
the kernel/protocol interface.

> Personally, i can't do that because i have installed and others applications
> which require this version(2.2.40) of glibc.For me was a compromised
> solution because i use Red Hat 8.0 and MySQL 4.0.4 for testing purpose.My
> applications run under Suse 7.x with MySQL 3.x (MyISAM).
> The problem was for who which make have installed MySQL from Source
> Distribution or Red Hat distribution.
> I hope you understand exactly what i try to say.Unfortunately (for me),my
> english is not so good .

Yep, I saw it. :-) But got your point anyway though.

Best regards,
Iikka