On Wed, 23 Oct 2002, Gelu Gogancea wrote:

> My dear friend,
Same to you

> TCP/IP is a protocol with KNOWLEDGE at ICMP level(see RFC792 ).
> The DNS server have a different purpose(see RFC 1034 or RFC 952 "HostNames
> table").
> Ping work at ICMP level.

Well well.. but it can't send ICMP echo packets to a hostname. Even ICMP
knows nothing about pure hostnames.

> The KERNEL is responsible about what is happened in the OS including the
> TCP/IP protocol.
> The TCP/IP IPV4/IPV6 and functions like
> socket(),accept(),listen(),bind()...etc are implemented on the KERNEL

Did I say they werent?

> level...also the sockaddr structure type and many others.
> Functions like gethostbyname(),gethostbyaddr(),res_init,res_query()...etc
> and hostent structure type are implemented in glibc.

Correct.

> Without all this, the TCP/IP communication CAN NOT EXIST.
> MySQL have the own way/functions for resolving hostnames but which is based
> on the glibc functions.
> The glibc defines the SYSTEM CALLS and others functions and it used by the
> C/C++ compiler.
> In fact by adding IP address in /etc/hosts, the glibc function
> gethostbyaddr() reserve the RIGHT MEMORY SIZE FOR IT(seems to be a recast to
> int type).
> If the IP address/Alias is not present in "hosts", this function make an
> wrong allocation memory and for this MySQL daemon is crashed.
> That's it.

Seems to be. Got it. :-)

> In my previous e-mail i don't say nothing about Domain Class(A,B,C) or
> canonical name or reverse lookup or other things which is on DNS
> responsibility.I try to say about how it work and was my wish to not to be
> too technical.

Not in those words, but you talked about host resolving. That is certainly
DNS functionality.

You talked about SERVER... it can be understood in many different ways.

But it seems to me that this issue is resolved and over.

Best regards,
Iikka