I have a table with a full-text index that spans four text columns. It
seems that the more records a query matches, the longer it takes to
execute. Is that normal?

Examples:

I have 15,376 records in this table:

mysql> select count(*) from NS_articles where
match(artHeadline,artTagline,artByline,artText) against('foobar' IN
BOOLEAN MODE);
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|        0 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from NS_articles where
match(artHeadline,artTagline,artByline,artText) against('trucks' IN
BOOLEAN MODE);
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|       59 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.10 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from NS_articles where
match(artHeadline,artTagline,artByline,artText) against('football' IN
BOOLEAN MODE);
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|     1823 |
+----------+
1 row in set (1.81 sec)

mysql> select count(*) from NS_articles where
match(artHeadline,artTagline,artByline,artText) against('nebraska' IN
BOOLEAN MODE);
+----------+
| count(*) |
|     9673 |
1 row in set (3.29 sec)

As you can see, as the number of matching records grows, the length of
time for the query to execute gets longer (pretty much linearly.) Why is
this? If I had 1,000,000 rows, I would presume the query would take a
_very_ long time.

TIA
Monte