I would take a look at the already available solutions
 at http://www.hotscripts.com
http://php.resourceindex.com
(many open source/free)

It may be easier to use (and manipulate) one of these
to what you need.

I am working on a similar project, since I fond many
project management solutions to be confused by too
many options.

part two
the syntax you are looking for is
UPDATE Status SET projectstatus='whatever' WHERE
projectid = 123;

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/UPDATE.html

I'd also recommend picking up this small little book.
It's a great intro to the power of SQL and will show
you how simple some of the cool things you can do are.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0672321289/103-9983226-8456617

I would also recommend putting all project
'properties' in a single table. what I mean is that
you don't need a relational setup for items like
status and cost where eah project will only have 'one'
(Project A costs $5000 and is 40% complete - next week
Project A may cost $6000 and be 50% complete - so just
update the fields). It would make more sense, and make
building your application simpler if these are in a
single table. Relations will make sense for items like
'project notes' which would work something like.

table 'notes'
project_id | create_date | note | author

so now we can store a note and know who wrote it and
when they did.

this same structure can solve your problem of tying
contacts to the project

table 'project_contacts'
project_id | name | company | address | phone |
description

and whatever other fields you like...

olinux