From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:speters@;metromls.com]
Sent: Monday, October 21, 2002 5:43 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: normalization question

I'm working on a design for a database that is leaving me with some
normalization issues that I havent had to deal with before. For example, if
im trying to store
information about car dealerships I end up with the following situation:

I want to store the cars in stock at each physical dealership, with certain
attributes.

So, I have a table Dealership as follows:
Dealer_ID
Name
Address
Etc.

Then there is a Car_Make table (for things like Chevy, Hyundai):
Car_Make_ID
Make_Name

And a Model table (for things like Elantra, Neon, etc):
Model:
Model_ID
Car_Make_ID
Model_Name

And a table to describe the cars themselves: (one row per car)
Car:
VIN_number        (vehicle identification number, what the DMV uses)
Model_ID
other attributes

Now, to associate a specific car with a dealer, I want to put Dealer_ID in
the Cars table, but then the Cars table has multiple parent tables,
specifically
Model & Dealership

I'm sure that this is far from normal, and will lead to programming
problems,
but i dont see what to do about it.

 thanks,
sean peters
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

sql, query

Attention:
Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, except where
the message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them to be the
views of any such entity.

The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended only for the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please
contact the sender and delete the material from any system and destroy any copies.