I'm working on a design for a database that is leaving me with some
normalization issues that I havent had to deal with before. For example, if
im trying to store
information about car dealerships I end up with the following situation:

I want to store the cars in stock at each physical dealership, with certain
attributes.

So, I have a table Dealership as follows:
Dealer_ID
Name
Address
Etc.

Then there is a Car_Make table (for things like Chevy, Hyundai):
Car_Make_ID
Make_Name

And a Model table (for things like Elantra, Neon, etc):
Model:
Model_ID
Car_Make_ID
Model_Name

And a table to describe the cars themselves: (one row per car)
Car:
VIN_number        (vehicle identification number, what the DMV uses)
Model_ID
other attributes

Now, to associate a specific car with a dealer, I want to put Dealer_ID in
the Cars table, but then the Cars table has multiple parent tables,
specifically
Model & Dealership

I'm sure that this is far from normal, and will lead to programming
problems,
but i dont see what to do about it.

 thanks,
sean peters