But at www.mysql.com download page there is this compiler advisory:

Compiler Advisory: Several of our users have reported random crashes and
table corruption with MySQL binaries compiled with gcc 2.96 on the x86 Linux
platform. Although we were unable to duplicate the problems ourselves or
understand their exact cause, we suspect with a great degree of confidence
that the problem was compiler related. Replacing the faulty binary with our
binary always eliminated the problem.
We recommend that MySQL be compiled with gcc 2.95 if you have to compile
your own binary at all. It is also acceptable to compile it with gcc 2.91 -
builds with these compilers have been tested extensively. We would suggest,
however, that you stay away from gcc 3.0 series until we have had some time
to do some more extensive testing.

Is gcc 3.2 really tested or I should compile mysql with gcc 2.96?

> The options used in creating our 3.23 RPM are described in our manusl.

Yes, I was looking in the manual when I see it. Sorry.

> We currently build our RPM's on updated RH 6.2.
>
> --

How updated is your RH 6.2?

Iago.