This is what happens when you use LIMIT

MySQL retrieves the entire record set for the select and then sends the
number requested in the LIMIT parameter to the client. MySQL has to
retrieve the entire result set to accommodate a LIMIT clause which skips
n records i.e. LIMIT 250,10.

With no ORDER BY or WHERE clause all records in the table are retrieved
in the order they were originally loaded {at least true for MyISAM table
type}. If the primary key is an autoincrement field then this will be in
primary key sequence, but this is coincedental. If the primary key is
not auto increment and the records are not loaded in primary key
sequence then the result set will not be in primary key order.

So if you want to use an index use WHERE and if you want a specific
sequence use ORDER BY.