Thanks to those who responded to me and the list (I am on the digest list)

why would you not simply generate the HTML and store it as files on the HD
that the web server can then serve without database interaction.  I've seen
this done when the web pages were quasi-static. (Did not change with every
query but changed when something on the server triggered a change) Similar
to your option 2 but without the extra database. (and lose the MSSQL box and
move to MySQL...had to say it to make this relevant to MySQL!)  :)
Thought about that one. Didn't find it as a very good solution.

1) in order to not to have to parse the files to replace file names, the file names would end up as "default.asp?id=sfsdsdfsdfs987d897&bob=asdf8sdaf8sad9f8asd" I am not sure how well Apache would like the "?" in the filename.
2) the site has a log in feature which needs dealt with. When the user logs in, they see additional content. If the files where just files on the file system, there would be no way for the login feature to actually work/require people to log in

If I create a PHP script called "default.asp" (and tell Apache .asp is to be parsed as a PHP file), then I can set the ID of the file to "id=sfsdsdfsdfs987d897&bob=asdf8sdaf8sad9f8asd" and do a sql such as "select * from table where id='id=sfsdsdfsdfs987d897&bob=asdf8sdaf8sad9f8asd'" (at least at the simplest level). This does require a database though, unless I would just write the file "id=sfsdsdfsdfs987d897&bob=asdf8sdaf8sad9f8asd" out to disk outside of the webroot and just have PHP open the file from the file system. File Systems have a problem with 30K files in a single directory?

thanks

benji

---
Ben Spencer