At 15:25 -0600 11/1/02, Aaron Merrick wrote:
Ladies & Gentlemen,

The manual says "FULLTEXT indexes are used with MyISAM tables and can be
created from VARCHAR and TEXT columns at CREATE TABLE time or added later
with ALTER TABLE or CREATE INDEX."
Believe the manual.

I get the following error when I try to add a full text index for a
mediumblob column - but not when I add it to any other columns -

mysql> alter table knowledge add fulltext (k_body);
ERROR 1005: Can't create table './preferred/#sql-c2_44.frm' (errno: 140)

If it is true I can't use full text on a medium blob - can I do it on a
mediumtext field?
It's true.
Yes, you can use mediumtext.

More precisely, you can use: CHAR and VARCHAR, if they're not declared
as BINARY, and any of the TEXT types.

You cannot use binary string columns.

Is there a way to convert a column from one to the other?
Yes:

ALTER TABLE tbl_name MODIFY col_name MEDIUMTEXT;

Thanks,
Aaron

myql