On Mon, 2002-11-04 at 11:58, Dicky Wahyu Purnomo wrote:
> Pada Mon, 4 Nov 2002 11:55:59 +0100
> "Toni" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> menulis:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I've got mysql 3.23.47 running on a freebsd 4.5 box for long time without
> > problems, until now that consumes nearly all available CPU.
> >
> > Also, I am unable to stop the server using mysqladmin -u root shutdown (the
> > process freezes) neither can restart it. If I kill -9 the process it
> > restarts and keeps using all my resources.
> >
> > Aparently there isn't any other active process on the machine.
> >
> > I have checked at mysql.com but I couldn't find any related information.
> >
> > ¿Where could this problem come from?
> > ¿Any solution?
>
> Check the running queries .... show processlist ... or mysqladmin -p processlist ...
>or even better use mytop / mtop
>
> for some condition (high cpu usage), optimize your tables, or mysqlcheck -or -A -p
>
> You should avoid kill -9 (safe_mysqld/mysql) ... it's only for "desperate" move ...
>:D

We get the same thing on FreeBSD machines quite often, and it's not
related to the actual work being done; MySQL can sit idle but use up all
CPU. It happens after a few days/weeks of uptime.

Switching to Linux fixed it ;)

The difference with what Dicky describes is that for us the MySQL
servers still works; it just looks like there's a rogue thread running
around doing nothing.