At 07:07 AM 11/4/02 -0800, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
>On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 12:37:15PM +0100, Nicolas MONNET (Tech) wrote:
>>
>> We get the same thing on FreeBSD machines quite often, and it's not
>> related to the actual work being done; MySQL can sit idle but use up
>> all CPU. It happens after a few days/weeks of uptime.
>
>That's a known bug in FreeBSD's "threading" implementation.
>
>Disable name resolution and it'll go away.
>
>Some details are here:
>
>  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000203.html#000203
>
>and
>
>  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000264.html#000264
>
>Jeremy
>--

Jeremy, just wanted to thank you for the pointer to those details... we've
actually had this similar problem where mysql will quite often keep itself
up at near 100% cpu usage (running two mysql daemons on a dual cpu box)...
it does drop into the 70's sometimes, but even at way off-peak times will
never drop to the 5-10% usage we see when we restart mysql, until of course
it builds back up again.

We haven't bothered too much because frankly it just hasn't slowed down the
box enough to make it worth investigating, just a minor annoyance when we
are looking at top.

Now we are off to take a look at your pointers and see if we can finally
flush it out...

Thanks again.  You da man!