Stop mysqld and start it again using the --skip-grant-tables command line
option.

--------------
FROM THE MANUAL AT http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Command-line_options.html
This option causes the server not to use the privilege system at all. This
gives everyone full access to all databases! (You can tell a running server
to start using the grant tables again by executing mysqladmin
flush-privileges or mysqladmin reload.)
--------------

It seems that you are trying to access mysql using the "root" account
without a password.  If part of your changes to the user accounts have been
to change (or add) the password for the "root" account you need to specify
that password.  I can't remember how that is done in PHP, but from the
command-line you would use this:
        "mysql -u root -p"
Using the -p switch will tell the client to prompt you for the password.

There is more helpful info at
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Access_denied.html.

Duncan

Duncan Salada