Hi,

I've recently made the move over from Access to MySQL.

So far, everything has been fine.
        I'm using:
                Win2K server (ASP)
                WinMySQLadmin 1.4,
                MyCC 0.8.4-alpha,
                MyODBC 3.51 and
                MySQL 3.23.51-nt

First problem: (fixed)
----------------------
I had used some keywords as table names, but SQL in a Nutshell by O'Reilly
put me on the straight track.

Second problem: (also fixed)
----------------------------
Then I had problems using this line:   <% If MyRS.recordcount > 0 Then %>...

I discovered that under ASP, the recordcount is "-1", so I worked around
this by using the following line:
                                                <% If MyRS.EOF = "False" Then %>.

All was fine, and exporting data straight from Access2000 into MySQL was
easy.

I then found one bizarre problem:

Third Problem: (Circumvented)
-----------------------------
I could edit any old record set - originally created on Access, but not
newly created ones!

>> Error Type:
>> Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
>> Query-based update failed because the row to update could not be found.

I spent quite some time looking for information on how to fix this, and drew
a blank.
I can display all the info from the new record set, but I can't update it...

..that is until I tried a different way to update it:

>>Old way:

1) Open connection  (sql="select * from mytablename where UserID = '1'")

2) MyRS("UserName") = "New Value"

3) MyRS.Update   '<-- Error occurred at this line
4) MyRS.Close

>>New way:

1) Open connection with update directly in sql statement:
        (sql="UPDATE mytablename SET UserName = 'New Value' WHERE UserID = '1'")

So... here's my questions to you knowledgeable lot:

a) Why did the second method work, and not the first? - is this a MyODBC
bug?
b) Why is this only happening to NEW rows in the database? - is it a MyODBC
bug?
c) could I gain/fix anything by changing over to MySQL 4 ?
d) how do YOU normally update MySQL records from within ASP?

Many thanks for any insight.  As I said, I've made it work, so I'm not too
troubled, but I would like to code things in the 'standard' way.

Luis.