On that page, it says:

"You can't connect to the embedded server from an
outside process with sockets or TCP/IP."

... not the other way around, which is what I'm trying
to do.  I'm trying to connect to another (remote)
server from the same app as is using an embedded
server.  It doesn't say anything about the client-side
TCP being disabled in the mysqld lib, just the
server-side.

This is still unclear to me since they specificially
went out of their way to mention that the server-side
TCP stuff was diabled, am I to just assume that the
client-side stuff is also disabled?

- Steve

--- Paul DuBois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 11:09 -0800 11/6/02, Steven Webb wrote:
> >I'm using libmysqld so I can have an "embedded"
> mysql
> >server in my application.  It helps with
> performance
> >because there is not socket communication and all
> I/O
> >is done from the program directly to the files.
> >Anyway, I have the need to also connect to a remote
> >database in the same application.  My code works
> fine
> >with the local "embedded" mysql server, I can
> connect
> >to the local server, create a database and
> manipulate
> >the data, but when I try to connect to a remote
> >database, it fails.  The C function that I'm using
> is
> >"mysql_real_connect".  The "mysql_connect" that
> you're
> >talking about is just a wrapper function that I
> wrote.
> >  The mysql_real_connect() is down further in the
> code.
> >
> >Did you get my code?  I sent it to the list, but
> the
> >list bounced it because the list didn't allow
> >attachments.
> >
> >Anyway, According to the docs for the mysqld
> library
>
>(http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Clients.html#libmysqld)
> >There is nothing that says that the
> mysql_real_connect
> >should work any differently than the one in the
> normal
> >library.
>
> Nothing there, perhaps.  But the general description
> of the
> embedded server points out that it does no
> networking.
> You cannot use an embedded app to connect to remote
> servers,
> nor can external clients connect to the embedded
> server.
> (This is one reason the manual says embedded servers
> can't
> be used in replication.)
>
> >   So, I'm thinking that either the
> >documentation is incorrect (mysql_real_connect
> >*DOESN'T* include any socket-level capability in
> the
> >mysqld lib like it does in the normal library) or
> I'm
> >just doing something wrong when I try to connect to
> >remote database with mysql_real_connect.  The man
> page
> >for mysql_real_connect is here:
>
>http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Clients.html#mysql_real_connect
> >
> >- Steve