Well, it looks like Simon has the best possible answer so far. I did a test
dump into a delimited file from Oracle and imported that using the LOAD
command in mysql and sustaned about 11,000 inserts a second. This is with no
indexes on the mysql tables at all. I have also tried using the dbtools
import function but it will ether time out or just hang on the big tables.

--Simon Says----
To do this I would do the following,

- on Oracle server
- - Create a NFS device
- - Create a FIFO pipe, using mknod
- - export data from Oracle to FIFO pipe

- on MySQL server
- - Mount remote NFS device
- - Use MySQL Load command to load data, or write your own loader in perl
- - when load is finished, build the MySQL indexes

Can you explain this procedure to me a little better or point me to
something I can read? I still have to convince the person who manages the
Oracle box to open up an NFS share. Another way we could increase load times
would be to use 4 scripts to load data from 4 tables at once. We have the
bandwith to handle that and the MySQL box seems to be handling request just
fine at 11,000 inserts its still not tapping out both procs or killing the
disk I/O.

Thanks to everyone who responded so quickly!

Cheers,
Wes