> MySQL 3.23.51
> Linux Kernel 2.4.16
> we do have 1 GB of RAM

> the main problem seems to be a table with about 8.597.146 records.

Similar situation here (>100 Million rows).

things I found that help:

- be selective on what rows to index. Try to limit yourself to one
  row.
- increase the key buffer size. (watch memory / swap usage as you
  do this).
- maybe you need more RAM (but see my other post about a question
  I had about large RAM machines and mysql crashing ;-) )

And more difficult, try to look at your application design and try
to come up with 'cache tables' that are generated by a cron job
periodically and are used for most queries.