Hello Jennifer,

Thanks for your reply.

At 02:07 PM 11/21/2002 -0800, Jennifer Goodie wrote:
>http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SHOW_PROCESSLIST.html

I guess I have an older/different version of the doc's.  I was using the
version that came with the Windows install of MySQL.  Thanks for the URL.

>Repair with keycache - The repair code is using creating keys one by one
>through the key cache. This is much slower than Repair by sorting.

So, now I know that "repair with keycache" is slower than "repair by
sorting."  What can I do about that?  That is, how can I make the repair
use sorting?   I would have thought they would be part of the "alter table
..." syntax, but I haven't seen anything obvious.

>It is going to take a long time to build an index on a table that big,
>especially if you still have questions coming into the machine.

How can I speed up creating the index?  Any pointers (i.e. URLs) for a
machine that has 1GB of RAM, 2GB of swap, and 2 1GHZ PIII processors?

BTW, I also have Paul DuBois's MySQL book as a resource.  Again, I looked
but did not find anything regarding keycache vs sorting.

Thanks in advance,
- Robert