At 04:41 PM 11/21/2002 -0600, Robert Citek wrote:
>So, now I know that "repair with keycache" is slower than "repair by
>sorting."  What can I do about that?  That is, how can I make the repair
>use sorting?   I would have thought they would be part of the "alter table
>..." syntax, but I haven't seen anything obvious.

I just found this from the on-line MySQL manual:
"For MyISAM tables, you can speed up the index recreation part (which is
the slowest part of the recreation process) by setting the
myisam_sort_buffer_size variable to a high value."

The current value is ~8M.  What would be an appropriate size for a 1GB RAM
machine with 2GB swap?  Put another way, is there any reason I would not
want to set this to 800M or more?

Regards,
- Robert