Hello Sergei,

In going through the archives I found this message which is similar to an
issue I am currently having.  You mention to "Consult the manual for
details."  I've check through the on-line manual:
  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html
specifically,
  http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SHOW_VARIABLES.html

Unfortunately, this section does not provide an in-depth explanation of the
variables, their settings, suggestions for values, min/max/range, etc.
For example, you mention that myisam_max_sort_file_size should be 'big
enough for MySQL to use "repair by sort" method'.  Can you recommend any
guidelines for setting this value?  Or pointers to a place in the manual
where I can find an explanation or set of guidlines?  Currently, I have set
myisam_max_sort_file_size to 3,145,728,000 (megabytes? since I'm using
3.23) and myisam_sort_buffer_size to 268,435,456.  Yet, my database is
still using the "repair with keycache" when I add an index with "alter
table ..."

BTW, I am using the latest stable version of MySQL (3.23.53a) on a Red Hat
Linux 7.1 machine.

Thanks in advance for any pointers/suggestions,
- Robert

-----

Hi!

On Nov 05, Quentin Bennett wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When doing an Alter Table, what does state
>
> Repair with keycache
>
> Mean, and should it take 27 hours (so far) on a 26,000,000 record table.

It means that MySQL - for some reasons - decided to add indexes with old
slow method. It can easily take 27 hours for such a big table.

Take a look at myisam_max_sort_file_size,
myisam_max_extra_sort_file_size varialbles, and
myisam_sort_buffer_size. The most important for you is the first one.
It should be big enough for MySQL to use "repair by sort" method.
Increasing the third can give you additional speed then.

Consult the manual for details.

Regards,
Sergei