Hi!

On Nov 22, Robert Citek wrote:

> Hello Sergei,
>
> In going through the archives I found this message which is similar to an
> issue I am currently having.  You mention to "Consult the manual for
> details."  I've check through the on-line manual:
>   http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/index.html
> specifically,
>   http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SHOW_VARIABLES.html
>
> Unfortunately, this section does not provide an in-depth explanation of the
> variables, their settings, suggestions for values, min/max/range, etc.
> For example, you mention that myisam_max_sort_file_size should be 'big
> enough for MySQL to use "repair by sort" method'.  Can you recommend any
> guidelines for setting this value?  Or pointers to a place in the manual
> where I can find an explanation or set of guidlines?  Currently, I have set
> myisam_max_sort_file_size to 3,145,728,000 (megabytes? since I'm using
> 3.23) and myisam_sort_buffer_size to 268,435,456.  Yet, my database is
> still using the "repair with keycache" when I add an index with "alter
> table ..."

Here's the relevant part from the code
(myisam/mi_check.c, mi_too_big_key_for_sort()):

   rows * key->maxlength > myisam_max_temp_length     ||
   rows * (key->maxlength - key->minlength) / 2 > myisam_max_extra_temp_length

in
CREATE TABLE a (
  t VARCHAR(254) NOT NULL, i INT NOT NULL,
  KEY k1 (t), KEY k2 (i));

k1->minlength=1, k1->maxlength=255
k2->minlength=k2->maxlength=4;

(I don't remember exact values, but they should be close to what I said)

Regards,
Sergei

--
MySQL Development Team