On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 12:48:29PM +0000, Steve Mansfield wrote:
> > Hi, doeas anyone know if it's possible to add 2 or more numeric values
> >together that are in the same cell in Mysql:
> >IE: i have a cloumn called price that for any entry may contain more
> >than one value, lets say £1.00 and £2.00
> >Is there a way that i can get these values added together ?
> >I know it's easy if they are in separate rows but unfortunately they're
> >not. see the example
> >
> >id        item                price
> >1         apple              1.00
> >
> >2         apple              1.00
> >          pear                2.00
> >
> >3         banana           1.00
> >
> >I need to get the sum for price for id 2.

It looks like your 'id' column is not unique, but is used to group
several rows (apples and pears) together. In that case, you can use:

SELECT id, SUM(price) FROM mytable WHERE id = 2 GROUP BY id;

Regards,

Fred.

--
Fred van Engen                              XB Networks B.V.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Televisieweg 2