From: Colaluca, Brian [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 11:25 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie Question

Hello there.

I recently got a wild hair to set up an amateur web site that will allow a
group of friends to log and comment on bottles of wine.  Having never done
web development before, I set out to first research what relational database
I would use that would satisfy my need for maintaining three related tables:
an objective category of wines (1999 XYZZY Vineyard Cab), a subjective
category of wines ("It sucked"), and a user listing.  I found that MySQL
fits perfectly (my budget, that is), plus I wanted something to run off of
my Linux box.

Where to go from here is where I'm stuck now.  I am tossed between going
towards a scripting language like PHP or PERL, and embedding that directly
in my HTML, or possibly going the Java route.  Does XML have the capability
of directly querying the database?  I'm curious to hear what methodologies
have worked best for users of MySQL, keeping in mind a tight budget.  Is the
J2EE architecture worth looking more heavily into, or is that somewhat
overkill for what I'm trying to achieve?

One thing is certain, I would like to use either Mandrake or Red Hat for my
OS, and of course prefer to use Apache as my web server.

Other than that, I am open to suggestions or comments.

bjc-

:::::======  Brian J. Colaluca - Software Engineer
:::::======  DRS Technologies - ESG