I'm running Mysql 3.23.52 on a Redhat 8.0 installation booting to Gnome.
The machine is a dual AMD 1800, 1 gig of ram, one Ultra ATA IDE drive, and 2
18 gig scsi 10,000 RPM drives on a RAID controller running Raid 0.

I've got everything except /db on the IDE drive, /db is the only thing on
the raid array.

I've got a couple of smallish tables and one larger table with about 7 gigs
of data.  The larger table is a fixed row format table with each row being
462 bytes wide.  I have a primary auto increment int column and a unique
index on a varchar 60.  Pack keys is off, delayed key writes on.

With this kind of hardware I was expecting pretty good performance, but I
haven't seen it yet.  I finally decided something was wrong when I had to
run an alter table on the 7 gig table, adding 3 columns, a varchar 12, a
varchar 50, and a datetime columm.... and it took over 10 HOURS to complete.

That seems way too slow to me...

I've included relevant portions (the uncommented portions) from my.cnf, the
OS installation was fairly vanilla, using defaults for just about
everything.  The file system is ext3.

Any suggestions or things I haven't included that you need?  Sorry if I'm
doing something really stupid here... relatively new to Linux after a lot of
years of windoze.

Thanks in advance

Mike

********** my.cnf *************

[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
datadir         = /db/mysql
skip-locking
set-variable    = key_buffer=500M
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=2M
set-variable    = table_cache=512
set-variable    = sort_buffer=22M
set-variable    = record_buffer=22M
set-variable    = thread_cache=8
# Try number of CPU's*2 for thread_concurrency
set-variable    = thread_concurrency=6
set-variable    = myisam_sort_buffer_size=64M
log-bin
server-id       = 0
tmpdir          = /tmp/
[mysqldump]
quick
set-variable    = max_allowed_packet=16M

[mysql]
no-auto-rehash
# Remove the next comment character if you are not familiar with SQL
#safe-updates

[isamchk]
set-variable    = key_buffer=500M
set-variable    = sort_buffer=8M