Helmut,

        I suppose that depends really upon the composition of your database.
Unfortunately, I am far from an expert when it comes to MySQL or
virtually any other database, I just happen to know a little bit about
hardware and some performance related information. All of that is only on
the low-end "commodity" hardware of the personal computer.

        If you know what size database, meaning how many tables and how much
information you will have in the database then I am certain that other
more database knowledgeable members of this list will be able to offer
some suggestions.

        The only other thing that I can add is if your database is going to be
relatively small (In comparison to some of the databases discussed on
this list.) you will probably see admirable performance on the fastest
Pentium 4 and the fastest AMD Athlon XP+ system you can build or buy.
(Based upon an earlier response that states how Intel beefed up the FPU
in the Pentium 4.)

        I feel as long as you don't skimp on the hardware, you shouldn't have
too many issues.

        Good luck.

Regards,
Robert Adkins II