I am running a few AMD based servers in our offices here and have no
issues with them. The big question is, What kind of operations are you
most likely to see with your servers?

        If the servers will be doing some heavy floating point operations stay
away from the Intel P4. (Unless recent versions have been fixed.) The
Pentium 4 has a TERRIBLE FPU. If you need high FPU and MUST stick with
Intel, then by all means look for Pentium III CPUs or look from some
Pentium Xeon CPUs.

        If you aren't brand specific, take a look at AMD. They perform admirably
for FPU options. For instance, there is one workstation application that
we have for developing CNC Mill cutter path that simply tears things up
when it is run on an AMD chip. Our old system would take nearly an hour
to generate the same cutter path that is generated in less then 30
seconds on the AMD Chip. (Athlon 2000+ XP)

        In the tests performed by our vendor, a similar speed Pentium 4 takes
quite a bit longer to generate the same cutter path. Something close to 5
minutes longer. Of course, that's all FPU doing the work there.

        The one thing that the P4 has over the AMD Athlon XP and P3 CPUs is raw
memory bandwidth. It can easily outpace both of those other processors
for VERY specific operations, like video editing and other HIGH Memory
bandwidth hungry applications.

        Depending upon what you are building, you might want to utilize more
then one CPU type across several boxes to be able to utilize the
strengths of each processor design.

        Good luck!

Regards,
Robert Adkins II