You still have not mentioned what language you are using to interface
with MySQL.  If you are using PHP or Perl, then things like single and
double quotes will make a difference here, and looking in the MySQL
manual will not help you.  Check the string that contains the query, if
it looks like this:

   $q = 'select xxxx from table where col regexp "$var"';

change it to

   $q = "select xxxx from table where col regexp '$var'";

The enclosing single quotes are keeping the value of $var from being
interpolated into the string in the above example.  See the manual for
your programming language for more information on variable
interpolation.