Hello Stefan,

thanks for the feedback. I think I probably misstated my problem. I just
emailed a more explicit example of the sort of thing I am trying to do.
for the sake of completeness I'll reproduce it here:

table

id customer purchase
1  c1       microwave
2  c1       car
3  c1       freezer
4  c2       car
5  c2       microwave
6  c3       car
7  c3       CD player

the goal is to find all customers that have never bought a freezer.

am I correct in interpreting your suggestion, applied to this case, as
the query:

select customer from purchases where purchase != "freezer" is null

i tried and it returned zero rows. probably because purchase != freezer
is either true or false and neither value is null!

what am i missing?

Murad