At 16:04 -0800 12/9/02, tmb wrote:
I was told that if you had multiple MySQL db's on a
single machine... that actually it was really only one
db with tables for for db1, db2, db3... ???

This doesn't sound right.
Ask the person that told you this for evidence to support the claim.

I thought MySQL created a seperate directory for each
db & put each db's files in their respective folder...
That's correct.

However, a small complication to my answer:
It may be that the person was thinking of the InnoDB tablespace.
The InnoDB storage handler manages all InnoDB tables within a single
tablespace, no matter which database they come from.  But even so,
each database has its own directory, and InnoDB tables do have a .frm
file in the appropriate database directory.

true or not ?

thanks - tmb