Thanks for your comments!

> I am not sure why you observe this load (AFAIK, blocked threads should
> not change the load), but it explains well, why 0 processes are
> running. They are all waiting.

The mysqld segfault with 0 processes does not happen consistently but
happens often enough to warrant mentioning. (That is, the slowness of the
server and the high load always occur when the binlog disk is full, but the
segfault only occurs sometimes when this happens.)

When the binlog disk gets full, the queries per second drop to a miserable
500 qps while the load shoots up. I was thinking about your comment about
the threads waiting. Maybe they wait for a while, slowing down each query
(resulting in more having to be processed simultaneously) which cascades to
bring the server to a crawl. There may also be a related issue that
sometimes this wait gets stuck (mutex issue?) and then what you described
happens.

Sincerely,
Steven Roussey
http://Network54.com/