Hi,

        I am having a bit of a problem with my MySQL database, and I am
hoping someone can help me out.  I have a table, that currently contains 350
million rows, all of which basically contain a String (VARCHAR) of size 60
characters or less, and a bunch of other identifiers.  These 350 million
chunks, if combined together properly, form about 10 million unique strings
of varying length.  What I am curious about is whether there is a way for me
to put these chunks together with a query.  So if my table looks like this:

mytable
|  id   |   order   |    characters       |
   1      1     abcdefghijklmno....
   1      2     gadrcdassdasds....
   1      3     adfasdfasdffdwef....
   2      1     asdfeereqdfqweq....
   2      2     dsfeqerqerqwerqw...
   3      1     qweqeotrmfnrofod...

What I would like to do is something like:

SELECT COMBINE(characters) as charcter_set FROM mytable WHERE id = 1 ORDER
BY order asc;

I know that I could simply pull the results into a temporary table, and then
use CONCAT or CONCAT_WS to combine them manually, but I would really like to
be able to combine the results on the fly, as it takes a really long time to
perform all the SQL statements I need on the 350 million row table.  Maybe I
am thinking about this problem the wrong way, but if anyone has any
suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Chris Stark