SELECT * FROM my_table WHERE Age > 50 AND UPDATE Status = "OLD"
No. That's goofy anyway.  Why wouldn't you just use a regular
UPDATE query?

UPDATE mytable Status = "OLD" WHERE Age > 50;
Cos I want to do a fairly long-winded process on the records of those who are Age>50 and subsequently update all of their records with the Date/Time that the change took place.

If I do the long-winded process and _then_ do the UPDATE query as you suggest I'm bound to update records which have been added in the meantime (by other clients, it's a busy database) which I've not yet processed.

I could make a list of all primary key values I've processed and then update them... or something equally ugly. I just figured there'd be a cleaner way to do it.

I really want to avoid grabbing all the results as my server is not located on my local machine.

Oh, I could update all the records where age>50 with a known date/time then do my select query to select only those records with that "time-stamp", and then do my long-winded processing.

Can't help thinking there must be a nicer way to do it.

Thanks,

Jeff