At 12:21 +0000 12/18/02, Jeff Snoxell wrote:
Hi,

I'm adding records to a db using the Perl DBI. Subsequent to adding a record I need to know the value of the auto-incrementing 'Ref' field so that I can place a copy of the relavent details into a log file.

I could query for the "LAST_INSERT_ID" but what if another process has added another record in the interim?
Doesn't matter.

Is this a job for table locking?
No, it's probably more of a job for reading the section on LAST_INSERT_ID()
in the manual again, particularly the part about "cannot be changed by
another client." :-)

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Miscellaneous_functions.html

Many thanks,

Jeff