At 13:08 +0100 12/19/02, Harald Fuchs wrote:
In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Dyego Souza do Carmo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

 Dobrý den,
 quarta-feira, 18 de dezembro de 2002, 13:10:07, napsal jste:
MTB> Qunfeng Dong wrote:

 Another thing, with some linux system, there is a size
 limit for file. MySQL seems to store each of its table
 as single file. You need to choose a file system
 without that limit.

MTB> Just use InnoDB tables for these files and you won't have a problem
MTB> AFAIK; you can have multiple 2G files that are used to create one big
MTB> table if you like (any InnoDB people want to comment on actual limits?)

 Use the InnoDB tables with the raw devices ( ex: allow innodb use a
 /dev/sdxx or /dev/hdxx to write tablespace ), the speed is better,
 MySQL don't loses time with the filesystem.

 In my production database , i have a tablespace with 130G ( with raw
 diveces on SCSI disks) and the performance is good :)
/dev/sdxx or /dev/hdxx are _not_ raw devices; they are disk partitions
without a file system, but still subject to the Linux buffer cache.
"man 8 raw" says how to bind a disk partition to a true raw device
(/dev/raw/rawX).  And yes, those beasts work fine with InnoDB.

I asked Heikki about this.  His reply:

Paul,

you can use a disk partition which Linux buffers in its file cache, and you
can use also a 'raw device disk partition' which Linux probably does not
buffer.

Google the mailing list. In summer a Swiss user was able to get a raw device
working as a data file.

I have no measurements of performance raw device / buffered disk partition.
In theory, a raw device should be faster. fsync was extremely slow in
Linux-2.2, and is still a bit slow in 2.4.

Regards,

Heikki