----- Original Message -----
From: "Nicholas Elliott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Octavian Rasnita" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 5:09 PM
Subject: Re: Hiding the password

> I chmod 511, on a CGI script owned by me. My username has access to
> read the source code, and apache can run the cgi script, but other users
> on the server cannot read the source themselves (minus root, etc).

I am getting more curious by the minute. :)

Assuming, for the argument, your username is "me", and your web-daemon is
not running as "me", then how will your web-daemon read from the CGI to
extract the shebang line? I do not see how this can be done (unless you had
your web-daemon running as root, but I doubt you did that.)

And, like I said, if your web-daemon can read from the CGI, so can everyone
else who can "run" web-pages on your server.

Or, as someone just brought to my attention, did you "compile" your Perl
script somehow? If so, I'd be interested to know what you used.

- Mark

mysql,query