From: wcb [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Saturday, January 04, 2003 1:51 PM
To: Mark; MySQL
Subject: Re: Hiding the password

It isn't at all difficult to grasp.  Please carefully (and exercising a
certain amount of patience) read my post and the previous post upon which my
post was based.  We are acknowledging that EVERYONE can find out your id and
password.  The question reformulated is:

"Given that one's MySql environment may not be accessible in terms of privs
(which is the case for a lot of people, who are paying for hosting by a
third party) and given that we CAN'T hide the id/password combination, is
the standard arrangement that hosts use (which is to ensure that only
localhost can access the database) adequate to prevent people from doing
unwanted things in your database?  NOTE that I'm assuming that one has a
script on localhost, and all users are from another domain, and also
assuming that the script is properly set up to constrain the activities of
users, does it even matter that people can determine the id/password
combination??"

Thanks for patient responses.

Cheers!

-warren