On Wednesday, January 1, 2003, at 08:06 PM, R. Hannes Niedner wrote:

You have a recent installation of mysql then you can just run

    SET PASSWORD FOR root@localhost=PASSWORD('tko');

and skip the flush privileges. All explained here:
<http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Default_privileges.html>

Best/h

[MacG4a:/usr] rnagle% mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
Your MySQL connection id is 4 to server version: 3.23.53-entropy.ch

mysql>

Well it would appear that I finally have a connection

q. since I am root, do I still need to GRANT a database to myself?
or just a to a new user. aka: bob@localhost

TKS
Rick