On 1/1/03 5:46 PM, "Richard Nagle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Well it would appear that I finally have a connection

Congrats.

> q. since I am root, do I still need to GRANT a database to myself?
> or just a to a new user. aka: bob@localhost

If you are the only person using the computer that the mysql server runs on
then theoretically you don't need to create any other user you don't even
need a password for root then.
But it is generally not a good thing to do things as root user if you don't
have to (and you don't for most of the time) in Unix and in Mysql. Thus I
strongly recommend that you do your database tutorials as a non root user
for example as bob@localhost as you suggested. Lets say the database in your
tutorial is called 'tutorialdb' you would do the following:

    shell> mysql -u root -p
    password:
    mysql> CREATE DATABASE tutorialdb;
    mysql> GRANT ALL ON tutorialdb.* to bob@localhost;
    mysq> quit;

This would give you (well bob@localhost)  all priviliges (except GRANT) on
the tutorialdb and all tables in this database when you are using the socket
connection i.e. You are logged in and call mysql on the machine that runs
the mysql server (mysqld).

    shell> mysql -u bob
    mysql> use tutorialdb;

Or

    shell> mysql -u bob -D tutorialdb

As you see bob can login without a password, which maybe what you want. If
not you can either set a password now or change the GRANT command that you
used in the first place to (replace pass with the password you like - the
quotes are part of the command syntax:

    mysql> GRANT ALL ON tutorialdb.* to bob@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'pass';

HTH/h