How's your application written? i.e. J2EE?

We've managed to put a layer in between the application and MySql that translates
subselects on the fly into inner joins.

This allowed us to quite painlessly move from MS SQL to MySql.

"EXISTS" can be refactored into an inner join.
"NOT EXISTS" can be refactored into an outer join with test for null on an outer
joined column.

Of course we'll rip this layer out when subselects are available but the tradeoff is
we don't have to spend $10K per server for licensing, and even with this translation
layer in, it's still faster than MS SQL.

Greg