On 3 Jan 2003, bruno peracchio wrote:

> I use MySQL 3.23.52/linux Mandrake 9.0
> Installing SQLEditor-2.1.3 (CBD-Common-2.1.3-3.i386.rpm)
> error:failed dependencies:
> unixODBC is needed by CBC-Common-2.1.3-3
>
> Installing UnixODBC-mysql-2.2.3-1.i386.rpm
> error: failed dependencies
> odbc is needed by UnixODBC-mysql-2.2.3-1
>
> Please can you give me an answer?

I think that this is more of RPM issue than it is a pure MySQL issue.

RPM is a package management system that manages RPM packages.  RPMs alone do
not manage package dependencies.  Thus, the process for installing a package
called x.rpm could involve downloading x.rpm and attempting to install x.rpm
only to find out that it needs a file called k.c.  In order to figure out
which package has the file called k.c, you might have to use something like
rpm-find to figure out that the file that you are interested in is contained
in a package called y.rpm.  You could spend a lot of time doing this, because
y.rpm might have the same problem.

In your case unixODBC is needed.  To search with rpm-find go here:

http://rpmfind.net/

One package management tool that solves the dependency problem nicely is
called apt-get, which was developed for the Debian GNU/Linux operating system.
Debian has a tool called dpkg which is similar to RPM, in that it can be used
to install binary ".deb" packages (as opposed to ".rpm" packages).  However,
Debian's package manager has a higher level command called apt-get, which
manages dependencies based on packages, not files.

You can run apt-get on top of an RPM system (it doen't seem to work as nicely
as an .deb based system from my experience) and it might make things easier
for you.  Have a look here:

http://freshrpms.net/apt/

If you want to try Debian go here:

http://www.debian.org/