Hi

I'm currently using MySQL (4.0.4 recompiled) as our database for storing
information about books.
There are about 1.5mill book titles + other information in the database now.

The fulltext search capabilities of MySQL have turned out to become very
good with the 4+ version and with a little tweaking of the ft_min_word_len
and myisam/ft_static.c we have gotten all we wished for feature wise :)
ft_min_word_len is 2 and I've completely removed the stopword list.
A fulltext search with 1.5mill book titles and sub titles takes about 0.17
sec so there is no speed issues here. (hands down for MySQL)  :)

But...
Does the stopword list have to be 'hardcoded' in myisam/ft_static.c?

I remember working on a project when I was school where we wrote this
program using autogenerated stopword lists and N-gram matching for the text
and search string. By this the stopword list was not hard coded.. So is
there a special reason for MySQL to have the stopword list on the source
forcing you to recompile everytime you change it or whenever I download a
new release?

I find this to be a bit cumbersome since I run several development/backup
servers and on different platforms (Windows/Linx). I'm still not able to
compile MySQL for Windows so I'm using the prebuilt installer for Windows.
So my Windows server won't be able to display the same results as the main
server or the linux servers.

Erlend Stromsvik