Hi!

On Jan 06, Erlend Hopsø Strømsvik wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm currently using MySQL (4.0.4 recompiled) as our database for storing
> information about books.
> There are about 1.5mill book titles + other information in the database now.
>
> The fulltext search capabilities of MySQL have turned out to become very
> good with the 4+ version and with a little tweaking of the ft_min_word_len
> and myisam/ft_static.c we have gotten all we wished for feature wise :)
> ft_min_word_len is 2 and I've completely removed the stopword list.
> A fulltext search with 1.5mill book titles and sub titles takes about 0.17
> sec so there is no speed issues here. (hands down for MySQL)  :)

Thanks :)

> But...
> Does the stopword list have to be 'hardcoded' in myisam/ft_static.c?

No, of course, it has not.
The problem is, that I cannot implement something like

   CREATE TABLE ... ( ... FULLTEXT (...) WITHOUT STOPWORD LIST )

or

   CREATE TABLE ... ( ... FULLTEXT (...) WITH STOPWORD LIST="filename" )

or whatever, as there is simply no room in .frm file to store extra
table/column/index attributes :(
Changing .frm format is in our todo for a long time already, but it
includes few subtasks that makes it very non-trivial. :(
It's something that Monty is going to do himself.

What I can easily do without breaking 4.0.x "gamma" status, is to add
command line switch --disable-fulltext-stopwords. It can help as a
temporary solution, untill a proper fix - per-index options, that is -
will be implemented.

> I remember working on a project when I was school where we wrote this
> program using autogenerated stopword lists and N-gram matching for the text
> and search string. By this the stopword list was not hard coded..

What is "N-gram matching" ?

Regards,
Sergei

--