On Tue, 7 Jan 2003 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > I use mysqldump to do a total backup of my database.  This is done once a
> > day just after midnight.  The file is then taken up by our tape backup
> > software.  I do hourly backups of our more important databases, also using
> > mysqlbackup.  Works fine and I have used it for restorals on a number of
> > occasions.  Even better, mysqlbackup generates SQL files, which, with a
> > little manipulation, can be imported into other database systems.
>
>  Doesn't mysqldump also create sql files or at least create the commands
> to rebuild what it is dumping?

Using default options, it creates a SQL script that will create the table
structures and reload the data.  You can use the "mysql" command to
repopulate the database.  I'm in constant development of an in-house
accounting system, and to test out bug fixes, new features, etc., I'll just
dump the running database and pipe it into a test database.  I found
mysqldump to have a bit of a learning curve, but I could not survive without
it now.

--
Aaron Clausen